Sunday, October 25, 2009

This week in science, we had more of hands-on classes, rather then taking notes and participating in class discussions. Some of us did the grams test on our Petri Dish Bacteria. We had to lightly swab with a thing with a tiny point. Everyone doing it with our group swabbed their own Petri Dish Bacteria. Then, we had to put the bacteria on a slide, but we didn't need a cover slip. We used tong looking objects to hold the slide and make it go in and out of the fire a few times to make it hot. I don't know the exact names, but we then had to put all these liquids and dyes on our bacteria. But, after every time we put a different kind of liquid, we would wash it off a little under tap water from the class sink. In the end, our slide turned out a tiny bit purple. It went pretty quickly and I didn't have really much time to really take thorough notes, observations or to draw pictures. I also wasn't very clear on what each liquid was doing either. It was a class long production. Hopefully, I can get a more clear description on what we were doing on Monday.
As I said in my last post, as a class, we all agree that we don't think the pond water that we hypthesised earlier was harmful, is actually harmful. We found that the organisms in the pond water were all harmless. So, we are pretty sure it's harmless. Now, we are leaning towards the chicken as the culprit of starting the outbreak. This chicken is from Cheap Chicken Hut. I am pretty sure I mentioned this restaurant in one of my earlier blog posts. We had swabbed the chicken with a swab earlier in the month and then swabbed the Petri Dish. We also did this with Mayo from Cheap Chicken Hut. Our results said that the mayo had a lot of bacteria growth and the chicken only had like 1/3 of the petri dish covered in bacteria. We are now pretty sure that we mixed the two up and accidentally thought the mayo was the one with a lot and then we realized that the chicken was. So now, our class is suspecting that the chicken started the outbreak and maybe had salmonella. It could also be sickly if it isn't kept at a cool temperature when it is not being cooked. Hopefully, I will have a final conclusion by next weekend after looking into all of my results during class this coming week.
That is what I learned this week. I will fill you guys in next week too.


No comments:

Post a Comment