Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week of Science.


If I could travel back in time and talk to myself about the process of meiosis, I would tell myself to remember that each cell gets 50% of the DNA. Also, that the result meiosis is four cells. Another point would be that the cells cross over. The result or meiosis are sex cells, or gametes. Examples of gametes are:

-Egg

-Sperm

-Pollen (In plants)

Lastly, cells cross over in meiosis. They would look like this open up:



The pictures on the bottom of this is meiosis itself. At the end, you can see that the cells are almost into four new ones, but not quite.

If someone had told me that the cells cross over and that each cell gets 50% or the DNA at the end, it really would have helped me. I would have realized that this makes sense because 50% is from Mom and 50% is from Dad. Each cell has 50%, so when they come together, they would make 100%.

The simulation that Mr. Finley showed us on Friday would've really helped me because it showed the similarities between Meiosis and Mitosis. This really helped because it is easier to compare something to another thing I was already quite familiar with. (Mitosis.)

Meiosis is a very interesting (but quite difficult) subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment